Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The On-Purpose Person

Hi Steve,

We were talking about being too busy and what to do about it.
Remember - I said we could practice. I could ask you to do something
and you could say - "Aw, shucks." - or - "Thank you for thinking of me. I'm sorry I can't help you out this time." Or, similar. Praise the person and let them down gently. Just say no is unnecessarily brief.

We also spoke of organization and priorities.
I mentioned David Allen - Getting Things Done aka GTD.
And then I came across this fellow at http://zenhabits.net. I have
not yet begun to dig into it but it seems refreshing, simple, even
minimalist; a way to get things done without carrying around a
weighty set of rules.
And, I mentioned this book - here's the info. The book is in the
County library and you can call up local branch library and have it delivered there.

The On-Purpose Person
Making You Life Make Sense
by Kevin W. McCarthy

I am having trouble finding out what to call this system for
determining the winner. The tennis people call it a draw sheet.
One sheet of paper for each category. The categories below are as
presented in the book. The book says these are guidelines. You can
change the categories: rename them as you wish, have more or less of
them, etc. Write down everything you want to have, do, or be in each
category.
• Physical/Health/Recreational
• Financial/Material
• Family
• Vocational/Career
• Social/Community
• Spiritual
• Mental/Intellectual
• Other

I am having trouble finding out what to call this system for
determining the winner. The tennis people call it a draw sheet.
You've seen it before. Here it is again.
Then, one sheet at at time you will do a run-off ... What thing,
outcome, or result do you want more than another?
Then do a run-off from the single result of each sheet.
Just another tool for the set. Use as necessary. Once a year. Once a
week.
You can read reviews about it on Amazon if you have the time.

No comments: